3191574 Nova Scotia Company, operating as The Highland Companies, had filed an application for a 2,316 acre 200 foot below the water table open pit limestone quarry to be situated on lands they own in Melancthon Township putting our water and farmland at risk.
As a collective group, our voices were heard.
On November 21, 2012, The Highland Companies announced that they had withdrawn their application and their plan to restore the rail corridor through Dufferin County. The present Provincial Policy Statement allows such an application to go through. Until legislation is changed, the environment is still at risk.
We must now ensure that our source waters and prime agricultural lands are protected, and not at risk of being destroyed by aggregate extraction.....thus the beginning of our:
Food & Water First campaign, round 2 of 2.
- Published on Tuesday, 21 May 2013 11:56
- Hits: 16
Food & Water First will be at The Big Carrot!
When: June 6, 2013
The Big Carrot Natural Food Market
348 Danforth Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M4K 1N8
Main Store: 416.466.212
We will have signs available for your SPRING PLANTING
- Published on Tuesday, 21 May 2013 11:49
- Hits: 17
Council of Canadians are holding their regional meeting at Unicamp, Mulmur on May 25, 2103
- Activists from the 17 Regional Chapters of Council of Canadians
- Their Executive Director and staff
- Carl Cosack, NDACT Chair
- There will be a session on communities fighting back against unwanted industrial development.
- Carl Cosack will speak about the Melancthon Mega Quarry Proposal and our battle.